Cultural CapitalGalway, recently conferred/awarded/bestowed the prestigious honour as host of the European Capital of Culture in 2020, is renowned for its hospitality, rugged coastline, and generous, fun loving and artistic people.
Top 1% UniversityBioInnovate is based in University of Galway, placed in the top 1% of Universities in the World.
Ecosystem – Galway, IrelandWe at BioInnovate, are proud to form a part of a much larger bionetwork which exists within the global medtech sector. Our affiliation with Stanford BioDesign has helped us to become one of the world’s leading innovation hubs with an immense debt of gratitude owed to Enterprise Ireland for both their financial and professional support in helping BioInnovate grow. Galway and Ireland form an integral element of this ecosystem of novel healthcare development. As a city, Galway is also positioned as one of the most important MedTech hubs globally (second largest in the world).
- Comprises 160 firms.
- Employs more than 25,000 people.
- Generates annual sales greater than €7.2 billion.
- Includes operations of 15 of the world’s 20 largest medtech companies.
- Global players with substantial Irish operations include Abbott, Bayer, Becton Dickinson, Boston Scientific, Johnson & Johnson, Guidant, Medtronic and Stryker.
- Ireland’s biggest home grown medical device company, Creganna/Tactx, employs over 800 people world-wide and provides a range of contract manufacturing and contract R&D services to start ups and global companies alike.
- More than 50% of medtech companies based in Galway have dedicated R&D facilities.
- 80% of global stent production is carried out from Ireland.
Did you know?
- 30m sufferers of diabetes reply on injectable devices manufactured in Ireland, 25% of the world's diabetics.
- 33% of the world's contact lenses are made in Ireland.
- 75% of the world's replacement knees are Irish-made.
- 80% of cardiovascular stents used worldwide are made in Ireland.
- More than 50% of MedTech companies in Ireland have a dedicated R&D function.